Saturday, February 11, 2012

Bukit Batok's 'Mt Fuji'

For many visitors, Bukit Batok still remains a very confusing area to navigate. That's probably because Bukit Batok is divided into 2 separate 'zones' - Bukit Batok and Bukit Gombak. The town is divided by a small hilly ridge which completely separates the town into two distinct precincts.Today , the 2 zones are connected by roads skirting both ends of the ridge as well as the MRT track that tunnels through the ridge itself.

When I was asked which part of Bukit Batok I live in, my reply would be 'across from the MRT station'. But in the past, I would say 'next to the Fuji Hill'.

Yes, there was (is?) an officially named "Fuji Hill' located at Bukit Batok.
Though today most residents do not call it by this name, it was a landmark in the early 1990s.
I guess it's a bit of an embarrassment to call it" Fuji'

Here is an old picture of the hill without its covering of trees found today. It's easy to see why people called it such in the earlier days.
The road in front of this hill (in the picture below) is Bukit Batok St 21. The wayang stage on the right stands across where the chinese temples are located today.

Fuji Hill around 1980, before someone went berserk with tree planting


Today, Fuji Hill is covered by trees and looks like any other park. It was my neighbourhood park.

This how 'Fuji Hill' looks now.
Bukit Batok New Town was built upon a hilly area and one of those hills left remaining where it stood was commonly referred to as the Fuji Hill due to its conical shape.


Related blogs:
My neighbourhood park
Bukit Batok, my neigbourhood

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I have no idea if you will actually see this comment since this post is over 10 years old, but on the off-chance that you do... Could I get your permission to put your picture of the old Fuji Hill in my blog post about a walk I did through Bukit Batok? I will credit you of course. I just think it's such a rare and precious photo. I could of course just link to your blog (and I plan to anyway), but I thought if I actually made a copy of the photo it would increase the chances that it would survive for posterity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous,
      Yes, I still do read the comments on my posts when I am notified.
      As long as you credit me as the source of your photo, it should be okay, but it would be better if you would leave your name rather than ask as an anonymous person.
      For your info, there are several updates on Fujihill in my main blog at this link:-
      https://ijamestann.blogpspot.sg
      as well as a new video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICwo9tkSFvc

      Delete
    2. Thank you! My name is Kevin Wong. Sorry, that was a bit rude of me actually. I wanted to send you a link to the post after it was done, but it should have occurred to me you would at least want to know my name first.

      I actually read your blog post about the quarries in the Batok, Gombak, Timah area. My blog is very new, and it's more about walking than about history, so I'm not sure I will go into such detail, but it was interesting anyway.

      I also saw your project documenting pedestrian bridges. I agree totally with your sentiment that at the mundane is often worth cherishing as well. I once had a similar project to document playgrounds in Singapore, but it got a bit too one dimensional and I abandoned it. Hopefully my current blog project will last a bit longer.

      Delete
  2. Hi James! I am a picture book author who has been living in Bukit Batok since 2017, and in fact, possibly close to you I believe, as I live near Fuji Hill too. I love the hill a lot and have been contemplating writing a children's story about Fuji Hill for the longest time, with the purpose of getting more Bukit Batok residents familiar with such an interesting history that the hill has.

    I have been reading your various blog posts as well as watched your videos and understand that you have a very good grasp of how the hill has evolved over the past 3 decades you live here. Thank you for documenting them so dutifully for the many generations to come!

    I am in the process of doing research, and am hoping to interview people who have childhood memories of Fuji Hill. Hence, I am wondering if you are available to meet over a cup of tea, say at West Mall? If so, it would be really lovely to hear from you :)

    Below is my email address if so: chenwt@gmail.com

    Hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete